Moving forward in Music City
It’s been awhile since we’ve given an update from Nashville, but we’ve been busy during that time building out our network in new neighborhoods. Currently, residents in The Nations, Charlotte Park, Whitebridge, Burton Hills, Woodmont, Sylvan Park, North Nashville, Edgehill, East Nashville, including Lockeland Springs, and many downtown apartments and condominiums can sign up for Google Fiber’s 1 Gig and 2 Gig service.
We’ve also amped up our construction efforts over the past year. Our crews are busy laying fiber in several neighborhoods across the city, and we expect those activities to increase further as we head into the new year.
Our community work has also continued to grow as our service area expands. In 2021, we’ve supported many local digital equity efforts to help connect even more of Nashville to the resources they need. These include:
- Providing a matching grant for Nashville Public Library Foundation’s Giving Day, which raised over $18,000 toward community outreach and engagement
- Supporting the YMCA of Middle Tennessee’s STEM efforts for kids across our region
- Sponsoring Project Return’s Digital Inclusion Fellow to help formerly incarcerated citizen build their digital skills to navigate today’s world
- Funding the Nashville Public Education Foundation’s Digital Equity Fund
- And supporting the Center for Nonprofit Management’s Racial Justice Fund.
As Google Fiber continues to grow in Nashville, we’re looking for ways to connect more people to great internet. 2021 has been our biggest year of growth yet, and we don’t intend to slow down now that we’re in stride.
Posted by Lauren Johannesmeyer, Head of Sales; Jesse Quirion, Head of Metro Technical Operations; and Daynise Joseph, Government & Community Affairs Manager.